Folks often get intimidated by eggplant, and it doesn’t have to be challenging to make this purple beauty taste great. I love eggplant because it doesn’t have a strong flavor so you can jazz it up with other hotshots like basil and mint to liven it up a bit.
This dish is another Jamie Oliver inspiration. It goes super well with fish or as a side all on its own.
- 2 medium purple eggplants
- For the dressing:
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 TBS soy sauce
- 3 TBS sweet chili dipping sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 fresh red chilis finely chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh celery leaves, roughly chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and place in your steamer with the cut side down. Steam for about 10 minutes-to check if they are ready, squeeze the sides and if they are silky soft then they are done. Remove from steamer and place them in a colander to cool.
Now make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together. when the eggplant has cooled cut them up into rough 1 inch cubes, dress them and toss and serve!